Re: starship-design: Solar Windsurfing: The Fastest-Ever Propulsion (So Far)

What if the magnaetic bubble was also spinning (or varying it's field
orientation in a cirular manner) like a magnuson effect wind-sail,
or a spinning baseball?  (let's ignore surface irregularity arguments
for the moment.)

Would this allow one to "Tack" a spherical object against the wind.

I realize those are pressure effects, and that the solar wind may not
be dense enough to provide much of a differential, but we might be
able to over come that by increasing the rotation speed.  (especially
if we are talking rotating energy, and not rotating mass.)

ok, it is early, and we all know that my physics is not the greatest,
but imagine a magnetic field spinning at a very high rate, with speed
control provided by the fastest dedicated CPU we can muster.

Now imagine a solar wind particle entering the sphere from one side,
it is moving at a pretty good clip.  Upon interacting with our mag-
field, the particle will be deflected 90 degrees (depending upon the
speed of the rotation) and the momentum vector will not point directly
away from the sun, but off to one side or the other.

This will allow you to add to your orbital speed, thereby slowing
down, while moving to a larger orbit, or subtract from your orbital
speed, thus moving into a tighter orbit, and speeding up.

Kevin Houston