starship-design: Re: book review

In a message dated 8/12/00 11:53:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
clmanges@worldnet.att.net writes:

> > Can you reprovide the Philosophy News Link I must
>  > have missed?
>
>   http://www.philosophynews.com

Curtis, I found it at the beginning of my last post to you, If it had been a
snake it would have bit me ;-). I read the link after it.

>From that link the following sections look interesting so will review them

Thanks a bunch,

Tom

---------------------------------
Kuhn's ideas anything but revolutionary
What Thomas Kuhn had going for (or against) him was a dazzlingly simple
schematic embedded in an inchoate epistemic stew. This made him easy to latch
onto by almost anyone, regardless of philosophical or political
predilections. Now along comes Steve Fuller to put Kuhn into a historic and
philosophical context and to excoriate The Structure of Scientific
Revolutions for its presumed baleful influence on the authority and practice
of science.

How culture molds habits of thought
The strategies people adopted in processing information and making sense of
the world around them were, Western scholars assumed, the same for everyone,
exemplified by, among other things, a devotion to logical reasoning, a
penchant for categorization and an urge to understand situations and events
in linear terms of cause and effect. However, recent work by a social
psychologist at the University of Michigan is turning this long-held view of
mental functioning upside down.

Philosophical chauvinism
In failing to read their European contemporaries in the original languages,
American philosophers are depriving themselves of important sources of
thought, argues Richard Shusterman, a professor of philosophy at Temple
University.

Tom