Re: starship-design: re: so you want to go faster than light . . .

Gentlemen,

If I may quote further from the same book, but _previous_ to the quote I sent
last . . .

the last equation numbered (43) is: E=m/(sqrt (1-q ^2)). This is followed by the
statement:

       "We recognize, in fact, that these components of momentum agree with those
of classical mechanics for velocities which are small compared to that of light.
For large velocities the momentum increases more rapidly than linearly with the
velocity, so as to become infinite on approaching the velocity of light.
        "If we apply the last of equations (43) to a material particle at rest
(q=0), we see that the energy, E(o), of a body at rest is equal to its mass. Had
we chosen the second as our unit of time, we would have obtained

(44)            E(o) = mc^2

        "Mass and energy are therefore essentially alike; they are only different
expressions for the same thing. The mass of a body is not a constant; it varies
with changes in its energy. We see from the last of equations (43) that E becomes
infinite when q approaches 1, the velocity of light."

I note here the term "approaching", and I hope it isn't a misfortune of
translation. I admit, again, that I don't much comprehend this stuff, but the
material I'm quoting should certainly be considered reputable, and looks to me to
support the commonly held view that, the faster you go, the harder it becomes to
go a little faster.

Now I'm perplexed. With the present exception of Dr. Jackson (to whom I apologize
for calling "Johnson" in my last post), I really didn't expect any argument on
this from this group.

Awaiting further enlightenment,

Curtis