Re: RE: starship-design: Infrastructure in space

> From owner-starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu Thu Apr 27 02:01:45 2000
> From: KellySt@aol.com

> >> We're around a middle aged star. Its got another 4-5 billion
> >> years in it. I can't see that being a major driver.
> >>
> >The explosion of the Sun was only an off-the-shelf example -
> >there are other threats within much smaller time frame.
>
> Such as?

Nearby supernova explosion. Nearby passage of some massive object
(a star, a brown dwarf) making havoc with planetary orbits.

> >> Not to mention unless we develop star ships that could carry
> >> millions of people we couldn't set up viable self
> >> sufficent colonies on other stars.
> >>
> >First, I think that with appropriate technology they may _start_
> >from far smaller population. Second, millions, if need be,
> >can be carried in test tubes...
>
> Embryos don't run factories or set up colonies.
> Nor can a small crew raise  millions of successors.

An initial crew will set up initial colony using the technological
resources brought with them, and then start to raise successors
to replenish their intelectual/cultural/genetic supply.
Not all the millions at the same time - so many they can raise,
successively raising more with the help of growing numbers of
already raised.
Millions of test tubes are needed for:
- sufficient genetical diversity;
- possibility of faster grow of population than
  with the "traditional" means only (so to say ;-)

The initial resources carried with the ship(s) should be enough
to last until the numbers of growing population will be sufficient
for sustaining the civilization development without further aid.
A few further supply ships may ease the transition - they can be
build & crewed by additional colonists that made their minds later...

-- Zenon Kulpa