Re: [Fwd: starship-design: Infrastructure in space [was: FTL travel...]]

"L. Parker" wrote:
> Now for the large open areas in space. This is not really so hard. If we
> accept that we will need to mine asteroids for materials, it actually gets
> rather easy, just hollow one out and move it! It doesn't have to be
> spherical necessarily, just large and open. The hard part will be convincing
> the meek to let us move a large asteroid into Earth orbit....

What do you mean:"it doesn't have to be spherical"??
Unless you mine an asteroid(which IS a spheroid, most of the time),
you'll be better with a sphere: constraints... why do you think that the
earth and all other spinning object in space are more or less spheroid?
Because it's the shape in which it's the easiest not to explode!
Well, that's what i was taught, anyway 8)
--
AKA paul_virak_khuong at yahoo.com, pkhuong at deja.com, pkhuong at
crosswinds.net and pkhuong at technologist.com(list not complete)...