Re: starship-design: FTL travel

In a message dated 4/17/00 10:12:59 PM, bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

>Curtis Manges wrote:
>
>> I had to wonder about this one, too. I think you'd be making a project
>more
>> expensive by having to send it up in lots of small parts; more complex
>design,
>> and I'm sure that labor costs for assembly will be, well, out of this
>world. ;-)
>
>I think labor costs will be lower because you don't need a PHD to
>assemble
>a wall. SPACE ACCESS does show how STUPID some ideas of values are,
>because
>it shows the real cost of food,shelter, envorment ,greed that we all
>take for granted.
>
>> This makes me wonder if there's some way to calculate a cost-break for
>modular
>> assemblies. This would tell you that the cheapest approach would be so
>many
>> chunks of such a size; more smaller ones or fewer, bigger ones would
>cost more.
>> Anyone done that yet?
>
>Modular assemblies always cost more, but they spread out the risk of
>failure.
>You put a dent in a wall panel ( stray meteor? ) you replace the panel.
>A pre
>fabricated room needs the whole room replaced.

You forget, your talking about things like aircraft or ships.  You don't want
a aircraft thats shiped to you in a hundred parts.  Odds are it would leak
like a sive and all those joints and sockets would work lose.

>Bigger is not better,
>just more
>profit because the money saved goes to the greedy stock holders.

If you don't pay folks what their work is worth, they won't do it for you.

>We need CONDO'S in space not apartments. For the up until the last 6000
>years
>man has lived with out money, why now is money the only thing of value?

Money isn't of value, its the MEASURE OF value!  Waste money, and your
wasteing resources and absolute value.