Re: starship-design: Re: FTL travel

In a message dated 4/11/00 7:08:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
clmanges@worldnet.att.net writes:

>  Again, I do understand what Lorentz did: he took a right triangle, labeled
"
> a" as space
>  and "b" as time, or vise versa, applied Pythagorean theorem, and got space-
> time as the
>  hypotenuse, "c". Very elegant, very simple.
>
>  What I _don't_ understand is how he _got away_ with it.

He did not get away with it. We caught him.

> Here's how I see it:
>
>  (1) time is not a property of space (otherwise you could answer the
question,
>  "How many
>  seconds are in a cubic meter?", or, for that matter, even "How many
seconds
> are in a
>  meter?")

True, Time=Mass/Distance defined from ancient times and expressed as the
fourth dimension algebraicly by Einstein. Earth moving through earth orbit
distance=one year.
Earth moving through one rotation distance= day
Moon moving through 1 earth orbit distance=month

>  (2) time and space are, therefor, unlike terms

Time is time and space is space space-time is a run together nonsense word

>  (3) the last I recall, it was illegal to combine unlike terms in an
equation

>              therefor,

It is.

>  (4) the Lorentz space-time equation, and its resultant invariant interval,
> are illegal.

Equations contain only variables and constants. No equation contains
invariants for it means non varying so is not a variable. It is not a
constant like whole numbers 1,2,3 so used with interval perhaps it is the
imaginary Quantum space in-between them.

Most likely it is nonsense-mathamatical gobbledygook like Quantum physics.
All real world physics is can be expressed completely in equations with
variables of exponets 0,1,2,3 representing the 4 known dimensions.
Originating from Lorenz the word is popularized by his followers also known
as closet "etherists" who claims scientific thought is jumping to conclusions
like "because sound needs air to travel through then light needs something to
travel through." Such conjuring produces ether. Fantasy world physics of up
to infinite dimensions is also produced by Quantum equations with exponents
higher than 3.

>  I can't get any more concise than this in my presentation of my
> misunderstanding, and this
>  should now allow you to precisely target my error and correct it. Whoever
> does so will get
>  a gold star for the day, I will immediately buy the whole ball of wax, and
> we can all be
>  happy together and go on to other things. Okay?

Stick to your guns you are without error in your thinking unless Einstein
also was which is doubtfull.

On to other things. I mentioned a juvenile book I read published in 1961 or
62 by Female author recording Einstein's death bed confession claiming
invention of atomic bomb (impact not chain reaction nonsense) and other
matters stating he never claimed that objects cannot exceed light speed
because it was possible that a machine other than a particle accelerator
could be found to exceed light speed and why and how.

Besides female author the only thing I could recall was he chose her because
she talked to children rather than down to them like Marie Hammontree did.
She was selected over Marie for Marie's biography of him was childish
gibberish. His last choice had published many science books for children with
even advanced physics successfully taught.

For those interested. My Library of congress search (Einstein 1961, or 1962
)results list members have requested for that book and the reader can come to
his own conclusions and do any leg work to library as I memorized the best
parts.

Records 21 through 21 of 53 returned.