Re: [Fwd: starship-design: HIGHLY OPTIMIZED TOLERANCE]

In a message dated 3/23/00 7:10:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lparker@cacaphony.net writes:

> On the reuse topic, you should look inside an electronic typewriter. The
>  "cpu" is an Z80!
>
>  Lee

Lee,
Since the CPU chip used in the first PC's, was one of the many parallel
processing chips of the early super computers. All CPU chips today still
contain the lead input/output pins for connecting in series or parallel with
other chips. In one case I used a Novel network board connected to these
lead-in pins and wired many (100) used complete XT (Z-80 chip if my memory
serves) and AT CPU's in parallel. It worked well and passed the "smoke test"
:=). As used and new 386, 486 and pentium CPUs became available the CPU's
were changed out.

To get the larger capability it was common to first connect four together and
then cover with epoxy into one larger chip. As faster speed could be obtained
by reducing the "wire" or circuit length new bigger integrated circuts(IC's)
with the same internal circuity were fashioned reusing the same schematic
diagrams. Other chip functions were added as needed.

In my case I did not bother with epoxy or new IC manufacture and used the
complete CPU case and insides without a monitor or keyboard. Size was not an
issue as the racks for 6 hard drives, larger power supply fit nicely with the
CPU's on bakery bread racks making a single unit with 12 CPU's, 72 hard
drives, and 12 power supplies.

To build a new computer one need not spend great amounts on new schematics or
tooling to create new integrated circuits. Most hobbyist and experimenters
combine IC's by using the mentioned pin connectors to obtain the needed
functions to get first to market.

Many software writers also save lots of money and time by reusing existing
code.
Research and development costs need not prohibit anyone from building new
devices suitable for marketing.

I recommend to those who seek investors instead invest some time looking into
used technology parts to provide the lion's share of the machine they
envision as their invention and not try and reinvent the wheel.

Best regards,
Tom