Re: starship-design: HIGHLY OPTIMIZED TOLERANCE

STAR1SHIP@aol.com wrote:
> Though eye fatigue is not a foreseen problem, as I never have tired at
> looking at the stars, I would also rope lash the throttle and directional
> controls to permit sleep, work, rest and other duties with the simplest of
> auto pilot systems devised for sea journies ;=)

Chuckle ...

> The more complicated systems used for navigation today were developed for
> needs as destinations were hidden by curved horizons, mountains, trees, cloud
> cover, darkness, and even unobtainable by encounters with current and wind
> directions.

> An accurate range finder to determine when to decelerate is the current
> problem needing a solution I have yet to find. Measuring distance by star
> brightness is not a good Idea, telescopic resolution of disk diameter is not
> workable for resolution clarity and the trigonometric function tables derived
> from calculus at the angles near zero degrees and 90 degrees are values that
> the calculations differ greatly from measured values over long distances and
> 6 place tables are little help. triangleization method  from measuring angles
> to the star from spots opposite in the earth orbit fall in accuracy. I may
> have to steer a zigzag course to get accurate trianangleization data and that
> I do not want to do very often as it would require a path perpendicular to by
> line a travel.

Star brightness is a good plan for a slower unmanned craft, sent many
years
earlier.If a probe is sent ahead, timed radio signals can be sent out,
for distance measurement. A probe would need to be sent ahead anyway for
other measurements.

> Doppler shift is so inaccurate as there is no way I know of to determine if
> the doppler shift of acceleration is determined by position location in an
> accelerating universe or a Doppler shift caused by relativistic effects of
> starlight in gravity field.
>
> Does the group have any thought, ideas, methods or machines to solve the
> problem or know of others attempt or solution to answer the question "How far
> is that star?" with any accuracy and given plus or minus values. It would
> seem reasonable to be sure of the distance before starting the journey

For the near stars triangulation is used, that I think can be improved
in future with deep space telescopes and other measuring tools.

--
"We do not inherit our time on this planet from our parents...
 We borrow it from our children."