Re: [Fwd: starship-design: HIGHLY OPTIMIZED TOLERANCE]

Curits,

That's the idea. The more generic the better as long as the cost is low
enough, and the cost I quoted is do-able in my personal experience.

I design electronics as a consultant/contractor and I have done
remote-controls, TV Station telemetry systems, fire and burglar alarm
systems, Fuel control systems, remote lighting control, telephones and
answering machines and a bunch of other stuff. All of it is based on a
"few" generic parts and a few generic designs. I cut and paste from a
schematic onto a new one, add a few bits of glue and I have a board. I cut
and paste from a software library and add some more glue and have code.

I've delivered things in two weeks that real companies had quoted months
for, not because I'm that good, but because I have a good sense of re-use.

A generic module could "control" practically everything electronic you
encounter throughout a day. Some applications may take several or many in
parallel but most can be handled through a single board. With enough effort
even something as complicated as a personal computer can be made up of a
bunch of smaller modules. More likely you would have two different modules,
the small one and the big one mainly to make up for the lack of good
parallel processing software today.

The only step your example left out is you have to look on the microwave to
see that it is software version "xxx" and load that code into the board
from some generic database. A clever guy would have each board have a basic
boot-strap code that can get its application (microwave, oxygen monitor,
refrigerator controller) code through a network such as 485 or Bluetooth.

John