RE: RE: [Fwd: starship-design: HIGHLY OPTIMIZED TOLERANCE]

Kelly,

> >Space has almost no need for fusion power expect for
> spacecraft propulsion.
> >Solar power is easier, freely available and far cheaper.
>
> Solar power is only avalible in the inner solar system.  Even
> at Mars its
> chancy.  You want to go past that you need nukes or fusion,
> and nukes are a
> political no-no.

I don't have the figures to back this up, but I would think even at the
orbit of Mars there would still be enough solar radiation for solar power,
perhaps not much beyond that. As far as the political realities of fission
versus fusion, I think a space based civilization might have a litter
different take on the realities than us ground pounders who are worried
about contaminating our biosphere - which is not an issue there.
Fissionables and fusionables are both in good supply in the asteroids...

> To a remote colony where they will be highly dependant on
> Earth sent suplies?!

There won't BE any remote colonies dependent upon Earth for resupply. If
they aren't self sufficient, they will die. (Science and research bases are
not colonies.)

BTW, what happened to your spelling?  It has recently gotten MUCH
better...<G>

Lee