Re: [Fwd: starship-design: HIGHLY OPTIMIZED TOLERANCE]

In a message dated 3/16/00 1:05:52 AM, bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

>KellySt@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> In a message dated 3/14/00 11:20:50 AM, bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:
>> >The way to do it is to keep the stress down on the components, by having
>> >them
>> >to work at a steady state. Being able to repair - reuse - recycle
>> >components.
>> >Finding a scale factor such that you are using the right size design,
>as
>> >a larger
>> >ship ( to a point ) can mean less compact items. The best way to design
>> >a inter-stellar star ship is to design a inter-planetary ship as that
>> >will be the
>> >stepping stone to the larger ship.
>>

>> Ah, a interplanetary craft has little to nothinhg in common with a star
>ship?
>>  How can you make one evolutionary from the other?
>
>I you mean I can't add a warp drive to a interplanetary ship and
>leave the solar system.
>
>I see them having many common features with each other, as only the
>size, propulsion ,and length of trips really differ. A interplanetary
>ship to the outer planets with a fission power plant would be about
>5 years duration in 2050 compared with 10 year interstellar trip
>at .5C in 2150.

By 2150 I'ld expect to see warp drives.  And speeds to the outer solar system
with fusion is expected to be months not years.  You can get there in years
with chemical craft!

A interplanetart craft out for a couple years at most is a long way short of
a decasdes flight capable craft, with extreamly high speed capacity.

>We really need a interplanetary ship design section too.

We tried, no interest.

>Ben.

Kelly