Re: [Fwd: starship-design: HIGHLY OPTIMIZED TOLERANCE]

KellySt@aol.com wrote:

> I remember the story, but the bottom line is why NOT use the new CPU's?  They
> arn't really more expensive, they are easier to use, and are far more capable.

  But only a few are space rated.

> If their ain't a reason to bring people, we won't.  We use better equipment,
> because it saves having to bring more less capable stuff up instead.  The
> fractal robotics could replace a ton of clamps, tooling, and robotics.

 Well then forget about people -- they have eat sleep and mate every so
often. Just build a nice AI computer and send that to run the ship.

> Ah, have you checked out the stuff NASA's been launching the last few decades?
Is bigger better?

> Where are you talking about going?  Families?!  For exploration?

Yes Families for exploration, Man has ALLWAYS taken his family along.

> --- space craft design ---
>

> Thats awflly expensive and clubsey.  We have a lot better and cheaper stuf
> collecting dust on the shelves.

All the current stuff is disposable and expensive... 500 million for
a shuttle launch. Can't wait for the "Fusion" powered launch vehicles.

> And how do you pay for that antimater?  Just make a straight fusion reactor
> and forget about it.

I use a fusion reactor -- it is called the sun -- to make the
anti-matter.
Anti-matter catalyzed fusion will probability come before straight
fusion,
how ever I like using it as a personal whim. Then again I like 12 bit
computers

> NO WAY.  No one is going to fund one way missions!  You can't kill off your
> crews at missions end to save yourself the fuel bill.  And don't even try the
> colony give.  You bviously ae demanmding tech WAY below the level that could
> even think about independany colonies.

I don't plan to kill off the people at the end of mission. For practical
purposes
it will be a one way mission because of the long separation from Earth.
My design plan is to start of with the minimum possible and then expand
comfortable level. We just differ on what is comfortable.

Ben.
--
"We do not inherit our time on this planet from our parents...
 We borrow it from our children."