RE: starship-design: Wirelss power transmission

> Old crystal radio sets were able to work without any external
> power (either
> battery or wall plug) simply by converting the transmitter's broadcast
> power into sound energy.
>
> If you need more power, take a look at pirate radio
> equipment.  Provided
> you stay out of the actual AM radio band (or other populated
> frequenccy
> bands,) and don't actually transmit any information, you
> shouldn't have to
> worry about the FCC.  I believe there are certain frequency
> ranges which
> are reserved for applications like this.

Not quite correct...There are some channels set aside for hobbyists, but
simply not broadcasting a "meaningful" signal will not keep you out of
trouble with the FCC.

Although frequency does relate to possible total power output, that does not
mean that you can't broadcast quite a bit of power at lower frequencies.
Also, the higher the frequency the closer you come to making a microwave
oven out of your lab, not a good place to be while working.

Then there is your neighbor, no matter  what frequency you think you are
broadcasting on, there are almost always "lobes" or sidebands (get a good
book on RF Radiation), if you crank up the power high enough, you will start
to "bleed" into your neighbors TV, radio, etc. Crank it a little higher and
you can actually burn his TV out. Modern solid state electronics are not as
robust as vacuum tube stuff, it takes very little to fry their electronic
innards.

Parker's Law: a ten dollar transistor will invariably protect a ten cent
fuse by blowing first...

Lee

"They make a desert and call it peace."
                                            Tacitus