Re: starship-design: Raw Facts.

In a message dated 10/18/99 7:00:51 PM, bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

>KellySt@aol.com wrote:
>>

>> Actually, transport cost in space can be really dirt cheap.  Free power,
>no
>> need to shove cargo at high G.  Getting into space can be a real bear!
>> Landing heavy tonnage cheaply is the big issue.  I've ran some numbers
>on it,
>> and given an electric steam boosted lander, with extremely minimal
servicing
>> needs (big, dumb, tough, flying wing) could profitably land crude oil.
>>

>But unless you come up with a better ISP on your boosters from earth
>you will never get your lander up into space. And environmental people
>would
>have your hide if your super-tanker crashed.

Not really.  A high temp electrically heated steam rocket would do it.
Course you need to produce or beam the power to the ship.

Environmental people are always a pain.  If they were clever they would look
at the bright side that theirs less drilling and shipment on earth.  Third
world would have a fit of course.

>> Well, its not that hard to get to space.  No more so then Australia for
>> example.  The big question is why would folks move there rather then
>many
>> other easier to settle areas of earth.  As to the fragile environment.
>> Perhaps if we get good at building completely independent ecospheres,
>this
>> one won't seem as critical to us?   ;)
>>
>> Kelly
>
>I think the $200,000 a LB is the factor.

Ha?  $200 K /pound for what?

Kelly