RE: starship-design: plasma sources

Strictly speaking, oxy-acetylene (or any standard welding apparatus) is not
a plasma. There are, however, commercially available plasma torches. They
are quite expensive, but not as expensive as a commercial laser welder for
instance. A lot of work has gone on recently using RF heating as has been
previously mentioned. In fact, the only system that meets the definition of
high impulse and high thrust that is anywhere near operational testing is
based on RF heating (it is a huge microwave tube heating a standard
magnetically confined plasma). If you are experimenting on these lines, look
for information on VASIMR, however, I have found that a great deal of what
WAS posted on the web has been censored...and is no longer there!

Lee Parker