Re: starship-design: plasma sources

The hottest thing I recall seeing was a plasma torch, used to cut heavy stainless
steel plate. It used three kinds of gas, and I'm not positive what they were; I
think one was inert (argon most likely) and another might have been nitrogen (!).
This thing used a large welding machine for a power supply, likely pulling from
300 to 600 amps, and the welding arc created the plasma. Again, I'm uncertain,
but I'd guess at nozzle temps above 7000° F. Ceramic nozzle, water-cooled head
assembly. Call a welding supply shop for details. Oh, and get some good ear
protectors; these things make a hellish racket. Hope this helps you.

Curtis