Re: starship-design: plasma sources

The hottest thing I recall seeing was a plasma torch, used to cut heavy stainless
steel plate. It used three kinds of gas, and I'm not positive what they were; I
think one was inert (argon most likely) and another might have been nitrogen (!).
This thing used a large welding machine for a power supply, likely pulling from
300 to 600 amps, and the welding arc created the plasma. Again, I'm uncertain,
but I'd guess at nozzle temps above 7000 F. Ceramic nozzle, water-cooled head
assembly. Call a welding supply shop for details. Oh, and get some good ear
protectors; these things make a hellish racket. Hope this helps you.

Curtis