Re: starship-design: GRB's

Galactic Explosions Inhibit Life

by Robert Matthews at New Scientist

London - January 21, 1999 - Gamma-Ray bursts -- incredibly powerful

An alternate I heard was that cosmic rasdiation and burst are infrequent
enough that most galactic civilizatinos would start up in quiet low rad
periods.  Then a blast would kill everyone off planet and crash space, and
associated ground based, civilization. would be destroyed.  By the time they
rebuilt the knowledge would be lost, and the blast would have cleared.
They'ld make the same mistake again.  So we, coming out during a high rad
point, would be lucky, because we would be prepared.

I'm not totally convinced by this idea, but its interesting.

Kelly