RE: starship-design: Is this fiction?

   -----Original Message-----
   From:       KellySt [SMTP:KellySt@aol.com]
   Sent:       Tuesday, June 15, 1999 9:10 PM
   To:         erps-list; starship-design; starship-design
   Cc:         bfranchuk
   Subject:    starship-design: Is this fiction?

   I picked up a paperback novel today cause it had nice SSTO craft
   on the cover. The is the development of such a craft and the support
   structures in the very near future ( Ie. 1999-2000) from Brazil
   without the
   support of the US-Goverment. Firestar  by Micheal Flynn, is the
   books title - isbn 0-812-53006-3. This is good reading, and a good
   reminder of
   the dream of Real space travel.
   Ben.

Hum, sounds interesting.  I searched for it on the Amazon.com site.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812530063/o/qid=929633315/sr=2-1
/002-1524617-7012049

General reviews on it there were good (Reviews below) thou some of the
elements might be a bit over the top.

As for the private SSTO angle, its a big interest of a lot of folks,
including US interest.  Thou NASA, and to a lessor degree DOD, are
against making space that open - corporate interests are chewing around
the edges to get past those roadblocks.

check out
   http://www.spaceaccess.com/
  http://www.wtn.org/crda/payloads.htm
  http://www.wtn.org/ProjectStories/crada/payloads.htm

For a us Company quietly working toward a ship like the FireStar cover.
  ;)

-------
                 Firestar
                 by Michael F. Flynn