starship-design: Re: Suggestion for starship fuel cycle (fusion)

Dear Michael,
Thanks for your interest in the site, and your comments.  I'm afraid I don't
know what you mean by a "proton-catalyzed carbon cycle reaction" or any type
of "regenerative fusion cycle".  All fusion cycles we could find consume fuel.
Some like the Lithium-6 cycle can use the reactants from the first cycle to
power the second cycle, but you can't just recycle the same fuel mass over and
over.

Also its important to note that we chose anti-nutronic fuel cycles that
release their energy in the kinetic energy of the fusion products. No
radiation.  Virtually no heat.  So they make highly effective rocket fuels.

However the basic limitations of the power a given mass of fusion fuel can
generate, becomes a staggering limitation.  As you noted, the fuel loads
required would be massive!  Grossly dwarfing the starship.

As to you other main points:

The Explorer-class vehicles Bussard ramjet idea was abandoned after the
diagrams and web site were worked up.  It looks pretty unlikely that a
ramscoop could even scoop up its own weight in interstellar material, assuming
you could even make it work at all.  So the Explorer concept now uses large
fuel canisters (tankers?) boosted up to it to refuel it as it boosts out of
the star system.  Effectively it boosts out using fuel feed to it in a just-
in-time system, and decels using internal fuel reserves.

We toyed with the idea of using a scoop like system to brake the ship, but
were skeptical that it would save us any fuel.

Explorers hardware, living quarters designs, and such, are the nominal
reference design for the other concepts.

As to the M.A.R.S.-class
It relies on beamed power from our Solar system, but we could never figure a
solid idea on how we could use that to decelerate, nor were we optimistic at
getting it to the ship over interstellar distances.  To put it mildly this
would be a staggering challenge.  Thou your inverse square issue can be
avoided by a maser beam, it would still defuse and the aim would degrade at
such distances.

The financial and political investment in Sun-orbital photoelectric collector
arrays would be a problem.  MARS and Fuel/Sail would both need vast emitter
systems, with astronomical costs.  Unless their was some major advance in
automated, low cost manufacturing of such platforms, these systems would be
undoable.  Explorer has a similar problem with its fuel launcher system.

Your security issue for the emitter array is also a common problem.  Thou
Fuel/Sail and Explorer only need the transmitters for a few months at boost,
they also depend on them being their to slow them down on return to Earth.  If
for example that can't ABSOLUTELY prove they pose no contamination threat, the
array will likely not be fired up to break them on their return.

Since Alpha Centauri isn't in the ecliptic plane, Sols planets wouldn't cross
the beam's path.

We assumed their would be few if any mid flight maneuvers, so tearing the sail
didn't seem an issue.

I'm afraid your mistaken, the sail can not be decelerated by tacking into the
beam.  This only works in our star system due to orbital mechanics.  Useless
on a fast interstellar mission.

Sail erosion at high velocities would be a major issue.  Fuel/Sail could furl
its Sail after a couple month, but MARS would take it hard!

Like all our designs, MARS is unaffordable with out major technical
improvements in manufacturing.  A society that could attempt the degree of
space based construction needed for the emitter arrays, would have taped the
huge resources of space, so raw materials wouldn't be an issue, and power
would have to be common through out the developed world or its space based
colonies.  But that's a very big if!

Not being able to change course isn't much of a problem though.  If you look
out in the night ski,  you'll notice there is little if anything near any
given course to or from any star.

Fuel/Sail seems the most promising at the moment.  Offering fairly high speed
(.4c) and less extreme technical challenges, but it still is unaffordable.

Thanks for all the time you put into your response.  I'll forward it to the
group.  If you'd like, you might join the group if you wish to make frequent
comments.  Thou I'm afraid we haven't had a lot of activity the last year or
two.  We frankly ran out of new ideas, and developed the old ones about as far
as we could.  Without a major break through in technology or physics, these
designs are undoable.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Kelly Starks