Re: Re: Re: starship-design: Genuine STR question

> One problem with this is the power limits of the fuel.  For example teh

fusion

> systems I was discusing used fuels that released all the energy of the

> reactions into kenetic energy of the exaust products.  Thats good,

because

> your radiation and heat problems go away, and you just need to aim the

exaust.

> Since these particals are charged conversion of their momentum to

electricity

> is a snap too.  BUT if you convert the exaust energy to electricity and

use

> that electricity to accelerate a smaller mass to a higher speed, your not

> geting any more efficency.  Rather your adding a more complex drive

system and

> dumping most of the fusino exaust.

Not true since only a fraction of the exaust can be used for thrust,=

Not true, all the exaust can be used for thrust if you don't tap any of it off
to power something else like the Liniac.

>==by

looking

at a regular rocket engine. The electric system may be easly reversed

for slowing down.

Only if you make the liniac run through the ship.  Not that you need to do
reverse thrust on short notice in a starship.

Kelly