Re: starship-design: money, Fermi, etc.

Paul-V Khuong wrote:

> >     The very brief mentions of time warps and space warps got me
> > thinking in another direction: gravity control. How much do we now
> know
> > about gravity, really? Anyone?

It is possibly controllable. By exposing a superconducting disk to a
time variant magnetic field, it is possible, if done correctly, to
demonstrate a gravitational modification effect of a small amount. (0.5%
to ~6%). Study the work of the following people: David Noever, Ning Li,
Eugene Podkletnov, Giovanni Modanese, and John Schnurer. Also study the
work of Rex Schlicher (sp?). I have replicated John's work as outlined
in his patent. I saw possible transient gravitational 'spikes' of about
.5% from a nonmagnetic test mass shielded from buoyancy effects and
magnetic coupling.

> Oh, warp... the graal of space travel... 8)
> Actually, we almost don't know anything about gravity.

Correct.

> We can calculate the effects, but we don't know how it's doing it.I
> think that the most popular hypothesis is gravitons(a small
> particules), but we haven't catched one yet... Do you know any other
> hypothesis???

Yes, there are others. Graviton theory, or quantum gravity, is currently
unworkable. Another theory is based on the assumption that the zero
point field interacts with masses to create a sort of long range Van Der
Waals force. This lies on the assumption that the field distribution of
the ZPF is a frequency cubed type. It also explains inertia effects,
assuming that the fields cancel out when an object is at constant speed,
but are asymmetrical when an object is accelerated. There is also theory
that interation with the ZPF might account for relativistic effects.
There are ways to test this theory, but they are extremely complex and
currently beyond us. It should also be noted that if the frequency of
the ZPF 'cuts off' at the planck frequency (~10^44hz) it *might* act as
a sort of absolute reference frame. If it does, it might have all sorts
of strange effects. But this is still just theoretical. Others think
gravity might be represented by some formulation of a gauge field. But
who can say at this point?

> BTW, is gravity travelling at c, more, less, or instantaneously??

Probably at C, but then we must ask the question, what is gravity? Is it
merely warpage of spacetime? Or something else? As of right now, I don't
think anyone has tried to measure it, so we don't know for certain. We
can make good extrapolations from theory, but we don't yet know for
certain.

Best regards,
Kyle R. Mcallister