Re: starship-design: way too long.

In a message dated 11/20/98 1:07:04 AM, bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca wrote:

>I think no new devopments will happen in space travel for intersteller
>
>travel,
>
>only refinements of current developments.

This is impossible.  We've far to many gaping holes in our understanding of
physics effects related to interstellar travel to make such a claim.  Thats
like a person a century ago insisting no power source will be found thats
better then chemistry.  You could say that given the lack of understanding of
nuclear and mater conversion effects this was reasonable, but the sun over
head is pretty obvious,, and could not be sustained with chemical reactions.

>FTL and warped space seem to
>
>require black holes -- something I don't want to have around. :)

No way to tell.  Some papers on "warp drives" suggest its impossible without
fantasic stellar or exotic mater effects.  Other suggest zero-point energy or
other tricks.  We just don't know enough to know.

>This is a little like air craft before the wright brothers perfected the
>
>airplane,
>
>a lot of ideas but nothing solid yet. We know that wings,engine and tail
>
>are
>
>needed but how to put it all together. However a interpanetary trip is done
>
>It will mean sacrifices and risk and hardships let a lone a interstellar
>
>trip.
>
>Star Trek we will never have.

Never is a very long time, and we not that good at predicting the future.
Learned experts gave similar absolute statements about airtravel, much less
commerce.

>Right now I have yet to see low cost travel
>
>into
>
>earths orbit. If there is a fast way to travel to the stars I am sure man
>
>will
>
>find it but that does not mean there is a fast way.

Kelly