starship-design: Bugs again

Hello Kelly,

>>I think it is quite save to say that there isn't any fertile spot on Earth
>>were there aren't bacteria already. These bacteria likely have
>>overtaken/driven away all weaker kinds of bacteria and thus are the fittest
>>and most numerous for that particular spot.
>
>Your asuming they have an evolved defence against the intruders (unlikly) and
>that the bacteria themselves might not be the food for the intruder.  Even
>tiny samples of more toxic bacteria introduced into a filled culture, will
>whip out the rest of the stuff in the culture.

You are assuming that the alien bacteria evolved a defence against their
Earthly enemies and that these alien bacteria might not be food for
that-spot's-fittest bacteria.
It may seem as if I'm making fun of you, but to me this seems a number
game, the largest group is most likely to win.

>>The likelyhood of survival of a few bacteria that are not (yet) adapted to
>>that spot is therefore small. Assuming the spot is suitable for the new
>>bacteria, they'd need to be much stronger to get the overhand while being
>>attacked by a majority that has the advantage of being adapted best to the
>>particular spot.

>>>That only works on bacteria that are sensative to temps.  Some can survive
>>>(even thrive) in swings of hundreds of degrees.  Also our body only runs a
>>>feaver if it senses a infection it knows to react against.
>>
>>Survival is something very different from thriving. I doubt that there are
>>bacteria that can thrive in a large range of temperatures.
>
>There are.  The ones merntioned above handel frezing to hundreds of degrees
>water just fine.  They can survive far worse.

But these bacteria cannot possibly be equally comfortable along the whole
temperature range. In general there is only a small temperature range where
a range of chemical reactions will happen fastest. This small range is the
only "place" where the bacteria can thrive fastest. For bacteria that
attack humans this temperature optimum is likely our body temperature, thus
any deviation from that will slow their development.

>Many unnatural substances can be introduced without reactino.  the deseases
>that kill us specifically are ones te body often does not react to effectivly
>or at all.

Only substances that already are present in the human body, or substances
that look like substances present in the human body will not be attacked.

>>No, some creatures just can quickly enough find spots where our body's
>>immune system is very ineffective or hardly notices it. Other substances
>>like poisons are just attacking too fast for our body the react against (if
>>they are in large enough quantities). In general relative small quantities
>>won't make much of a chance.
>
>Poisons can work quickly or take years.  They are just chemical componds.  If
>the body doesn't normally break them down and excreat them safely, we get
>hurt.

Poisons that work over years are usually substances that are present in our
bodies, but normally in small quantities. For many substances the body
excretes what is too much, but in some cases that isn't possible.
Poisons that act quickly, will for example clot the blood, or do something
else that immobilizes or slows down our immune system.
Poisons that work over the years are attacked by our body. We usually die
because our body has to do too much work excreting and fighting the poison
for an extensive time. (eg. our liver may break down)

Timothy