Re: Re: starship-design: YES, we might do it.

In a message dated 10/14/98 5:13:27 AM, Shealiak@XS4ALL.nl wrote:

>Kelly & Kelly wrote:
>
>>Problem is unless there is some short term profit, there will be no long
term
>>investments.  Also the without a large scale market, mining would not be
>>economical in space, and there be no economy to support the major space
>>colonization that would support something like our starship project.
>>
>>Zero G manufacturing might havesupported such mines, but interest in it has
>>droped a lot in the last decade.
>>
>>Kelly
>>
>>Kelly
>
>Your alter ego is surfacing ;))

I never told you I am clones?  I was sure one of us remembered.  ;)

   ;)
   ;)
   ;)
   ;)
   ;)
   ;)

>Maybe a shortterm profit can be generated by selling exclusive rights of
>mining the first few asteroids to those that will be there first. (This is
>a probably a bit too easy, but I guess you catch my drift.) Right now space
>is supposed to be from everybody, but clearly that doesn't work if
>economical advantages are to be made.

Exclusive rights might work, but only if their was a demand for the product.
I still think low cost transport down is the key.  Earth is the eventual
market for whatever is made in space.  Somehow we have to get product down to
market.

Assuming you had energy in electric form to power steam rockets to orbit.  How
much power per pound launched wold it take to lift a cargo craft?

>Timothy

Kelly