RE: FW: starship-design: Interstellar travel-using vacuum..ur poi nt?

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Walker, Chris wrote:

> Kyle,
>
> regarding the discussion on the Bussard ramjet, you mentioned that:
>
> > we need two things if we ever wish to seriously attempt
> > interstellar flight: 1. A way to interact with spacetime to provide
> > fuel-less propulsion, and 2. A method of travelling faster than light.
> > Both of which I believe are possible.
>
> I agree with both statements. However, I am curious as to your reason(s)
> *why* you believe FTL travel is possible.
>
> Chris Walker

Well I would also be VERY interested in WHY you think FTL is posible...

However I do not fully agree that those two condintions are that
neccesary, as long as you can fulfill the 1st one (reactionless drives)
then you can probably build a reasonably unexpensive (in global terms)
starship to get to the nearby stars in a decade or so. That should be
enough for the so called "planet-hoping" method of space conquest IMO.

Bjorn