RE: starship-design: Numbers needed for Colonization

Timothy,

> Hmm, I see what you are trying to say. We could have many routine but
> slightly changing and difficult to automate jobs.

Basically, that is it

> While supervising equipment may be such a job, I don't think
> it would be of
> much use to let children supervise it: If the equipment is
> critical then
> one wouldn't trust a child with such a responsibility, and if
> the equipment
> isn't critical then it wouldn't have to be supervised continuously.

Well that is where the Paradigm Shift comes in. I maintain that children are
capable of far more than we currently demand of them. (We being Americans
and western Europeans.) In a frontier environment, we might actually have to
require that they work!

Lee