RE: starship-design: unmanned missions

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu
> [mailto:owner-starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu]On Behalf Of David
> Levine
> Sent: Friday, February 13, 1998 10:03 AM
> To: 'starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu'
> Subject: RE: starship-design: unmanned missions
>
> Wow, do I really repeat that so much?

Only when necessary, we DO tend to wander somewhat...

> Hm, well, it does come up a lot.  I guess if we feel that this is really
> just not at all possible, we could change what we're designing.  We
> could do an unmanned craft if everyone agreed they'd rather do that.

Naah, robots aren't any fun. Actually, I believe that it is possible, I'm
just not so sure it is likely. We do have most of the technology and what
little is missing could be developed in time. But without a massive
commitment to developing INFRASTRUCTURE in orbit, we won't make it.

This is one of the reasons why I push commercial use of space so hard. We
will NEVER get there if we have to depend on the likes of NASA (or other
country's equivalent) to do it.

Lee

                                                      (o o)

He who thro' vast immensity can pierce,
See worlds on worlds compose one universe,
Observe how system into system runs,
What other planets circle other suns,
What varied being peoples every star,
May tell why Heav'n has made us as we are.
					- Alexander Pope