Re: starship-design: Re: debate

L. Parker wrote:

>Perhaps there is some confusion in semantics here.

>We have built plenty of fusion devices that surpass breakeven - just not
>devices that are viable as commercial powerplants. We aren't necessarily
>looking for a powerplant design, we are looking for a propulsion design. By
>default that includes a lot of the devices (such as bombs) that have
>surpassed breakeven.

>The antimatter catalyzed concept is just that, an Orion concept with
>extremely small fusion bombs.

I was saying we don't have "fusion power" and that any interstellar
mission design requiring fusion other than H-bombs was speculation.

I'm extremely positive about MagOrion type concepts.

I'm extremely doubtful about lithium 6 - hydrogen fusion reactors.
--
    _____     Isaac Kuo kuo@bit.csc.lsu.edu http://www.csc.lsu.edu/~kuo