Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: starship-design: Space Money

In a message dated 11/17/97 8:38:44 AM, david@actionworld.com wrote:

>The brain has something like 10^11 neurons with 10^3 synapses each with
>a peak firing rate of 10^3 Hz, for a raw bit rate of 10^17 bits/sec.

Last numbers I read were about that number of nurons but less synapses per.
 Also the actual number firing rates don't add up to all synapses firing all
the time.  Nural nets dont seem to work that way.  Guven the total number of
firings per sec, and assuming every firing was about the same as 1 64 bit
word, they figured about 10^12 -10^13 (can't remeber which) bytes per
secound.  Confortably inside te range of the bigest terabyte/flop super
computers.

So Hals brain is here on schedule for 2001, but no software.

  :(

Kelly