Re: starship-design: Hull Materials

This is more or less what I was afraid of.
I imagine the percieved opacity of the shield depending on the frequency of
impinging radiation.

In other words, at relativistic speeds, will infrared be seen as x-rays (and
x-rays as gamma... and so on) ?

If this turns out to be so, there might turn out to be a lot more hard
radiation to be faced. And hard radiation can be more penetrating, hence
difficult to keep out.
Infrared, for example, has a hard time going through glass, but light has no
problem at all.