RE: starship-design: Hull Materials

On Monday, November 10, 1997 7:04 AM, Timothy van der Linden
[SMTP:TLG.van.der.Linden@tip.nl] wrote:

> My theory and tables mainly talk about mu/rho [gm/cm^2] (mass attenuation
> coefficient) when considering X-ray shielding. For low X-ray energies the
> photo electric absorption by the K,L,M electronshells seems to be the
> dominating factor. It looks like we once again need tables to know what's
> best.
>

> Timothy

I don't have anything like the tables you are describing...

I think the alloy of Tungsten was with chromium and iron. There is some
promising new work in "intermetallics" which might yield even better long
term performance. So far however, most of the intermetallic research has
been with Aluminum for turbine blades with a sustained operating
temperature around 300 C for only a few thousand hours of operational life.
We need on the order of 500 - 900 C for tens of thousands of hours for hull
materials and 2,000+ C for drives.

Lee