starship-design: Hull Materials

I would like to start a discussion on a topic which I know very little
about.

Does anybody out there know much about chemistry? Particularly refractory
metal compounds with high molecular weight?

Any ship we design that is capable of achieving substantial fractions of c
will be exposed to enormous amounts of radiation and material impacts. I
have seen several proposals for using frozen deuterium ice (fuel)
surrounding the ship and providing shielding from impacts. Of course, this
assumes that you are using hydrogen for fuel...

I want to explore alternatives for the actual hull of the craft. What
metals are available, what sort of melting points, etc. I think of
particular interest would be the X-ray density, ductility, and hardness
numbers.

Some of the most refractory metals with high melting points and high x-ray
density are borides and carbides of Tantalum, Tungsten, and Uranium.
Unfortunately, these metals are not very ductile, in other words they are
extremely brittle. The ideal candidate would possess the advantages of
Tungsten Carbide in a more malleable form. Perhaps some sort of Chobham
type of armor with layers of metal and ceramics.

As a comparison, what is the X-ray density of deuterium ice? How much more
ice would be required to equal the shielding of one of the refractory
metals?

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Lee

                                                          (o o)