RE: Re: starship-design: It's a bad, bad world out there

Is this necessarily true?

Ref.:
http://www.landfield.com/faqs/astronomy/faq/part6/section-13.html
How far away could we detect radio transmissions?

The idea behind this part of the sci.astronomy FAQ is that detection of
normal radio and television signals at interstellar distances is a myth.
Math is included.  One summary quote:
"Even a 3000 meter diameter Radio Telescope could not detect the 'I Love
Lucy' TV show (re-runs) at a distance of 0.01 Light-Years!"

Narrowband radar is apparently much easier to detect, but will be short
in duration and non-repeating.

I don't know how easy to detect the EM leakage of a power-grid would be,
but it doesn't sound likely.
David Levine                                david@actionworld.com
Director of Development               http://www.actionworld.com/
ActionWorld, Inc.                                  (212) 387-8200
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."