RE: starship-design: Deceleration scheme

Lee,

>> Neat formula, but how did you get from "as" to "V@"?
>> And where did this "l" come from?
>
>I skipped a lot of ASCII math, I TOLD you I don't like doing math on this
>forum :-P

That's probably because you'll be asked to do more ;)

>> True, if you can make it light enough per square mile, then you indeed can
>> reach relativistic velocities. But I think there aren't materials that work
>> under the circumstances we need.
>
>Although true if possible, I don't think we can get light enough for a manned
>ship. I am quite certain it can be done for unmanned probes.

What weight per square meter do you suggest?
(In my example I used a sail with 0.1 gram per square meter)

>I am not going to work through the math. I don't like doing ASCII math and
>you've reached my limit!

I guess that T.C. Tsu paper is not available in electronic format?

Timothy

P.S. You might read the following paper from Geoffrey A. Landis
     http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Tech/Space/laser.txt
     After heaving read that you may be even less enthousiastic about
     using a sail.