starship-design: X-rays and voltage

kyle writes:
 > Hello Timothy and SSD group:
 >
 > I have a question:
 >
 > Will 200,000 VDC with a current of 1000 microamperes produce
 > dangerous/deadly radiation?

Depends on how you use it.  That's only 200 watts, but it could produce
a pretty good X-ray or microwave flux.  Or if you create ultraviolet you
could give yourself a sunburn.

Or it could give you a nasty shock.  Although Ohm's law says that you're
pumping this into a 200 megohm device, which is a pretty high resistance.

 > If anyone knows how much, please tell me.
 > Also if anyone knows how much shielding will be necessary, or how far
 > away to be, that would be helpful.
 >
 > Will quick termination of voltage be dangerous?

Again, it all depends on exactly what you're doing.  There's no way to
answer the question without knowing what you're putting the electricity
into.

 > Why is the general thought: Kyle's building a doomsday weapon? I'm not
 > _trying_ to.

Kids, don't try this at home :-)