Re: starship-design: Aliens

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997 15:06:21 -0400 (EDT) KellySt@aol.com writes:

>On the contrary. Floats can't carry much. You can't work metal without
>forge or way to melt and carry the metal.  No ceramics.  Your kind of
>stuck
>with gases and remains of other life forms or debries.  The complex
>heavy
>materials from metals, bricks, glass, etc needed for technology,
>especialy
>high energy technology, would be unavalible.  Worse, if you could get
>some,
>you'ld have to drop them to keep from geting draged down.

Actually, couldn't a sufficiently intelligent species develop a
genetically engineered organism that metabolizes metal, then lays down
that metal in layers, possibly with several different organisms working
in concert to make complex systems?  I know, my biology isn't what it
should be, but its a thought.

Jim