Re: starship-design: Re: Aliens, why haven't they contact us?

Hello,
This discussion certainly is broad in scope. A few thoughts that ocurred
regarding it are (if I may):
1. If we have been exposed to (and maybe originated from) space-born
biological material, then local life is probably reasonably well suited
to deal with any life originating within "average" distance. Maybe it
even is "similar" to it.
2. Less-advanced Aliens will probably be from close by, allowing us a
reasonable chance at biological self-defence. Advanced aliens shall
probably have advanced microbots (or whatever) to "secure the perimeter"
- whatever that might mean to them. Maybe they would not want to
contaminate local life with their own - and have the technology and will
to do it.
3. Alien minds might work in Alien ways - based on shockingly different
premises or rules. Their logic might not be "accessible" to us. It might
not make sense. It is hoping a lot to expect them to think like us, with
our emotional, dichotomic, bilaterally symmetric, golden-mean tropic
logic. All premises from 2. onwards might be completely off the mark. On
the other hand, similar life might lead to similar logic in similar
beings. In that case, there could be a chance for it to be dichotomic,
bilaterally or spherically symmetrical, maybe emotional, doubtfully
golden-mean or fibonacci-series susceptible.
    3a. On life: microbes have been found on earth that thrive in
anoxic, acid-rich hundreds-degree Celsius hot environments. Ditto for
orgs living near sulfur-rich thermal vents on the ocean floor. Coupled
with the space-born life hypothesis, this suggests that life is probable
on any nearby planet without too much radiation and sufficient heat
(20-700 degrees Celsius). Venus and the gas giants immediately come to
mind. Furthermore, if you accept that similar structure leads to similar
logic, it suggests that alien life might be "comprehensible", even if
only in the most abstract sense.
4. 5 billion people is a lot to us, but could be a hamlet to a
gregarious space-faring race. Again, aliens are alien. They might not be
composed of individuals as we understand the term.
5. *Very* advanced technology might not be limited to our little bubble
of space-time or suffer its ...er... limitations. But there are always
the less-technologically advanced space-farers - no reason why they
couldn't be messy, noisy housekeepers (just like we are and shall
probably ever be).
6. In our pattern of society, it is usually adventurers, traders,
colonizers, castaways and fugitives who first contact new cultures. The
priests and scientists usually follow long after. By then, the damage
has already been done. The abos have to face the cultural shock and meet
the visitors new demands as best they can. _If_ the aliens are like us,
that's the way it might go. Otherwise, who can tell?

Antonio