RE: starship-design: Go Starwisps

Zenon,

I am not so sure we need worry about contact with another star faring species at any of the destinations on this list or even on the new expanded one. It seems fairly certain that if there were a civilization at any of these stars anywhere near our own level of technology we would already be aware of them. There emissions would have given them away.

If the probes are chanced upon by a Type 2 or 3 civilization, it also doesn't matter, OUR emissions have ALREADY given us away. So either way we can send the probes. The only area where care needs to be taken is if we encounter pre-space civilizations so that we don't accidentally destroy their society...

I am not all that worried about encountering hostile Type 1 civilizations at any of the nearer stars. We would already know about them and they would already know about us. Besides there are always self destruct charges...

Lee Parker

Long experience has taught me not to believe in the limitations indicated by purely theoretical considerations. These - as we well know - are based on insufficient knowledge of all the relevant factors."

Guglielmo Marconi