RE: starship-design: Stars_within_16_light_years_of_the_Sun

Steve,

I already wrote Zenon back regarding this. I'm not qualified to argue this point, I simply copied it off of the web. I wrote the author and asked HIM to check his data.

There has recently been a new more accurate study completed called HIPPARCOS which has provided much more accurate data on several MILLION stars, by far the largest sky survey ever. Along with charting positions and movements more accurately, it also increased both the size and age of the universe. Perhaps his data is from this survey. I don't know.

I agree with Zenon as well. I always THOUGHT that they were approximately the same distance away. I think half a parsec is a little farther than I had in mind. Incidentally, the HIPPARCOS data is available for download along with database access software for PC/Windows, Macintosh and UNIX. Of course the data is over a hundred megabytes....

Lee Parker

Long experience has taught me not to believe in the limitations indicated by purely theoretical considerations. These - as we well know - are based on insufficient knowledge of all the relevant factors."

Guglielmo Marconi