RE: starship-design: the beamed power problem, again

At 2:29 PM 9/4/96, David Levine wrote:
>>I beleave the english translation of the following; is that after about a
>>year of 1G acceleration, the ships moving at near light speed.  Since the
>>microwaves are moving at exactly lightspeed.  At some point the beam can't
>>really catch up with the ship in time to be usefull.
>
>And I suppose the red-shifting of the beam (relative to the ship) makes
>it too weak to do any good, anyway.
>
>-David

Ah, if you try to decel into a microwave beam.  How much blue shift would
you get at what speeds?  Could you blue shif the beam to the point it would
pass through the mesh of the microwave sail?

Kelly Starks                    Phone: (219) 429-7066    Fax: (219) 429-6859
Sr. Systems Engineer                                     Mail Stop: 10-39
Hughes defense Communications
1010 Production Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808-4106
Email:  kgstar@most.fw.hac.com