Archiving LIT...

At 03:02 AM 7/26/96 +0100, Timothy van der Linden wrote:
>Timothy replies to Ben who wrote multiple messages:

Sorry bout that! ;)

>>I could be responsible for librarian and archiver, especially
>>because I have a ZIP drive, and $20 bux for 100 megs I think
>>even my dad will pay once a month.. If that's enuff space.
>
>Don't worry about buying zip-discs, all letters from the last year of SD
>discussions are less than 5 Mb.

Well, if I was archiver, I would probably buy one zip-disc then.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>>Think about getting
>>30 letters a day (which I sometimes do from this
>>group), but multiply that by 4 or 5 groups, and
>>you HAVE to keep them separated!
>
>Think about having 400 members in this forum as soon as the LIT-site opens
>up again. There are currently over 700 !!! people who ever tried to get
>subscribed to the old (not working) newsletters. (Of course some might have
>want to get unsubscribed, but where never able to).
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

wow that is a lot.

>>Guys, I would be willing to be your librarian! Seriously, I'm the ONLY
>>candidate for this, because every one else has jobs. I am great at
>>summing up and sorting info, and I could make programs to help me...
>>Guys, i would LOVE this job! If anyone has objections, tell me..
>
>Make programs to help you? Do you know that much about neural-net programming?
>Summarizing isn't just glueing everything together, some "chit-chat" may
>have useful information that just isn't in any separate letter. You may need
>to keep track of everything that is written in 100 letters, not an easy job.
>The best that you probably could do is get rid of a lot of the quotings (you
>might be able to write a program to help you with that) but of course
>sometimes the quotings cannot just be left out.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Actually, I was not considering doing neural-net programming! :)
The program I plan to make is this:
  1) Get all LIT mailings for week in one folder (already done)
  2) Make a program to:
     3) Read my Eurdora Light file
     4) Archive EVERY SINGLE message
     5) Make a database with index tables and stuff
     6) Make the program to .ZIP the database when finished,
        unZIP when starting.
     7) The program would be searchable, etc. etc.

I was figgerin on archiving EVERY single letter, exactly for
the reason you stated. there could be good info in chit-chat.
If you guys wanted, I could also do a "cut down" version, but
really, once i develop the program (if you guys give me the go)
it won't be hard to archive every mail. but since I won't be
doing much besides developing the product (i dont believe in a
finished computer program), i would have time (if you want) to
make a "cut-down" vers... whatda think?

>>I meant that I wanted daily letters AS WELL AS a weekly summary of ALL
>>the letters, so summaries.. I don't know how other people feel about it,
>>but that way whoever wants to can just delete all their mail for the
>>week and save the one weekly one.. I mean, I already have like 200-300
>>letters from you guys, but it could be compressed (weekly) into I
>>guess 4 or 5 letters. Saves no space, but relieves the clutter.
>
>I rather have the separate letters, makes searching a little bit easier
>(assuming that people change the subject-line once in a while).

Sure, especially if I make this program. You can either keep all your
letters, or they will all be there in one file (weekly) as a database
easily searchable by the program.

>Since you are using Eudora, which has a nice and easy folder capability, it
>should not be hard to keep track of the letters.

Yup.

Guys, let me know whatcha think about my proposal. I will probably do it
just for me anyway (#1, as a programming exercise, #2 because it will help
me keep track of lit) but if you guys say go i will probably have more
of an incentive to finish quicker. :)

Ben