Re: Space questions...

At 07:59 AM 7/22/96 -0500, Kelly Starks x7066 MS 10-39 wrote:
>Currently their are legal restrictions.  For example the FAA hasn't figured
>out how to lisence a space craft, and the feds haven't set liability
>limitations for space craft accidents like they did for aircraft.  So you
>could wind up being unable to get a launch permit, or get sued to death by
>hungry lawyers if you have an accident.
>
>Past that the United Nations has been tring to claim space as their
>property, and refuse to let others profit in space.  The U.S. state
>department has traditionally not cared much, but usually have been forced
>by public presure (usually the L-5 society) to not sign.  For example at
>the moment the state department is reluctant to bother protesting a U.N.
>treaty being worked on that would effectivly outlaw nuclear poer system in
>space.  That ofcourse would eliminate the possibility of missions past
>Mars, or manned missions past the moon.  Or lunar bases for that mater.
>
>Kelly

The UN claims space is *theirs*?!?!?! OH my GOD, i can't believe that.
I mean, how could they think that? How could the US not care? How could
the UN...? Guys, fill me in here. Is the US govmn't *really* stupid,
or is the UN *really* stupid, or is the public *really* stupid..
(actually, as far as I'm concerned, they all are, but im asking who's
 fault is it that this is happening?)

OK.. well, i won't complain much, because I could complain ALOT about
this. My next question is... (hypothetical situation)

  what if, say, our group (LIT) bought an island from Liberia, who doesnt
  have any space laws at all, and could care less.. would we be able to
  build a spaceport and spaceships and launch from that island?
  (disregard material needs for now, im talking about the law)