RE: Space programs...

On most systems a CGI script is a script like any other.  It gets
its input from STDIN and its output from STDOUT.  If you can write
a C or perl program, you've written a CGI application.  Sure, the
format the data comes in on STDIN can be a little odd, but there's
plenty of documentation on it.  If I had an hour of free time, I'd go
through the old CGI stuff I had for the site and fix them....