Re: New idea Laser launcher/scoop systems

At 1:28 AM 3/14/96, Timothy van der Linden wrote:
>>>That gives for the specific impulse = 0.085c/(9.8*1) = 2.6E6
>>>
>>>So while this may look much, I think it is right. Why do you think it
>>>is not OK?
>>
>>Well one problem I have is since I don't know ow to find what speed the
>>reaction particals will be at after the reaction (I have Mev power levels
>>but I'm not sure how to use them), The equation doesn't tell me much.  For
>>example, a pound of fuel will fuse and realest its particals at x Mev.
>>What speed is that?  How much electric power can the generator convert that
>>to?  Using that electricity, how much mass can we accelerate to the ideal
>>velocity?
>
>I think the initial velocity doesn't matter since one can regulate the final
>velocity with the size of the outlet (see below).
>
>>>If you ignore energy losses, it doesn't matter, as long as you can regulate
>>>the exhaust velocity of the plasma (which should not be too hard).
>>
>>I woud think the velocity would be fixed. I can't think how to increase it
>>without adding external power.  Decreasing would probably involve taping
>>some of its power off, and giving it to a larger volume of reaction mass.
>
>No, what matters most is the pressure that is build up inside the engine.
>The higher the pressure, the higher the exhaust velocity.
>One can regulate that velocity by enlarging or reduce the ourlet.

I'm not sure that is possible with particals going a fraction of the speed
of light.  Remember the G loads my mag launcher would have needed to get to
fuel up to .3 of light.  I think the nessisary voltage presure might be
undoable.  Certainly your not talking about a normal rocket chanber
situation.

Kelly Starks                       Internet: kgstar@most.fw.hac.com
Sr. Systems Engineer
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company