Re: Orbit B

>Brian
>Random fluxuations from where?  Not in my refocusing retro-mirror design.
> Oh no, I just realized something.  Even if you refocus the beam down into a
>smaller one via a series of mirrors, it will still have the same energy
>density distortions as the unfocuses beam.

Yes, that's what I meant writing a letter to you earlier this day (I'm still
catching up, only 10 to go)

>By the way.  It is possible, as I think you noted earlier this week, that
>the mirror would cause plenty of fluxations in its own write.  After all,
>the huge reflecting surface is an ultra-thin sheet that requires tension for
>shape and force from the Sol beam for tension.  I see where fluxuations
>would compound on fluxuations.  E-GAD!  THIS IS A NIGHTMARE!

I always had a more solid retro-mirror in mind. An advantage is that this
way the whole thing doesn't accelerate away like crazy.

>Time for a reality check.

No, I don't want to hear it... damn, I've to read it... ;)

>For this entire light sail idea to work, you 100% HAVE TO assume that the
>beam from the retro-mirror remains steady AND relatively free of
>fluxuations.  The Asimov will have to take care of itself and keep its
>posistion dead in the retro-beam.  Any mistakes and you have a wrecked sail.
> Unless that can be replaced in a matter of a few days, your crew is going
>to have to drop weights (hab shielding mass which is where half of the ship
>mass is minus fuel/RM) and hope that whatever kind of sail you get up before
>slamming into the retro-mirror  can take the extra g's of deceleration.  Not
>to mention the crew.

Now you did it, you've put us literally down to Earth...

>Question: Why does reality have to bite so hard?

I'm not listening...

>P = Power
>m =  Mass
>v = velocity
>c = lightspeed (3E8 m/s)
>
>P = [mc^2/(1 - (v^2)/(c^2))^.5] - mc^2

Hmm, this is the relativistic formula but not for P but for E (energy).

Timothy