Re: Nuclear Liquid Salt Reactor

This is a weird one.  I'm sure I never heard of it before.  Sounds like the
exaust would be a mess, and you'ld have a lot of radiation and nutron
bombardment on the ship when the engines runing. Wonder whats the specific
impulse?

Kelly

At 5:09 PM 2/27/96, David Levine wrote:
>I don't remember if this has ever been discussed here, but
>I just saw this on sci.space.tech:
>
>-David

>>BTW I've just seen an old Zubrin proposal for a Nuclear
>>Liquid Salt Reactor. You take moderately enriched fuel
>>in several tubes to a larger tube where the uranium goes
>>critical and passes out the back through a nozzle. With
>>a careful adjustment of the fuel flow there is a constant
>>region of criticality. Low radiation on the vessel because
>>all the gunk is in the fuel. He proposed it for LEO use. I
>>liked it myself. Anyone seen a serious proposal for its use?
>
>No, but I can think of a few. Such a vehicle would
>be able to sustain multi-G accelerations for days!
>Plus, the exhaust has a v(esc) higher than solar
>escape v, so it's perfectly safe. Just don't tailgate!

Kelly Starks                       Internet: kgstar@most.fw.hac.com
Sr. Systems Engineer
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company
(Magnavox URL: http://www.fw.hac.com/external.html)