No Subject

Linden

> Kelly,

> >> I don't understand why you think it keeps the heat out
> >> during daylight?
> >> As far as I know, it keeps the heat in day AND night.
> >
> >Climatologists don't agree on that.  Sun light has a large component in
the
> >IR bands.

> Yes, I know, but "earth-light" is even more intense in that
>  band.
> (more intense relative to the sunlight that finds it way
> to the soil)

No sunlight is hotter in the IR band, and your not talking about the amount
that gets to the ground, your talking about what hits the top of the
atmosphere.  IR reflective gasses would reflect that back out.  Thus lowering
the solar heat gain.  Thus lowering the Earth surface temp during the day.

> >> In this whole discussion I was talking ONLY about the
> >> effect of green house gasses. The word cloud never
> >> appeared in my writing, indeed it is not known
> >> yet what clouds do exactly, but that wasn't what I was
> >>  discussing.
> >>  There are probably many effects that compensate for
> >> the increased density of greenhouse gasses, but it can
> >> be assumed that if the density of the greenhouse gasses
> >> gets to big, like on Venus, other effects cannot
> >> compensate enough.
> >
> >You keep assuming greenhouse gasses cause global warming.  That is an
> >unproven theory.

> No, I keep assuming that greenhouse gasses do keep the
> heat in and I've never heard (except from you) that it
> keeps the heat out or has no effect at all.

Sorry.

How could it keep Earth heat in without keeping some solar heat out?

> You are saying that greenhouse gasses don't exist, or in
> other words there are no gasses that have a higher
> reflectivity for IR-light than for visible and UV-light.

No, I'm saying that introducing IR reflective gas wouldn't nessisarily heat
up a planet that got most of its surface temp from outside sources.  Given
that a lot of IR reflective gas has been added to the atmosphere without
changing the temp, and no one has a coherent explanation for how it would
increase the temp, and the whole idea is vigorously debated, I'ld say it
seems like a dud theory.

> I now don't understand anymore why does it become warm
> in a greenhouse?

The glass keeps the cold wind out and is a slight insulator.  It only works
if its not really cold, and theirs still a lot of sunlight to warm it up in
the day time.