Re: Hands and brains

KellySt@aol.com wrote:

> To: Timothy van der Linden)
> >
> > But why do elephants have such big brains (3 to 4 times larger than
> humans)?
>
> They need the nuerons to run their big bodies, which are dozens of times
> humans.

But what about dinosaurs, small-brained creatures,
many of whom had bodies much larger than elephants?
I think I've read somewhere that a large portion
of their nervous system was distributed... i.e.,
their spinal cord handled more functions than ours
does.  So why do elephants have a large brain
instead of a distributed nervous system, more
like a dinosaurs?

David