Re: Engineering Newsletter

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Timothy van der Linden wrote:

> OK, my theory strands on practical difficulties, so we are back to zero.
>
> So I quote Kevin (Newsletter 00:29 11-04-95)
>
> >Either beam the power, or
> >figure out how to use the Interstellar Medium (ISM) as a brake.  I say
> >that beaming the power is the quickest easiest solution.
>
> Beaming the power would still mean a timing problem of about 10 years? And
> another problem for this method would be that you get a large amount of
> momentum in the wrong direction (ie. in the direction of TC).

1) about the timing problem.  Since "Asimov" and the beam are traveling
in the same direction, the beam starts at the same time that the "Asimov"
does.  Also, the beam only needs to be on for about 1.5 years due to
relativistic effects

2) this isn't a maser sail, the momentum imparted by the beam itself is
negligible compared to the momentum generated by the engine exhaust.  and
since the engine exhaust can be directed either foreward or backward,
this is not a problem

> Using ISM would be great, but it seems that only VERY BIG scoops could do
> the trick. I still haven't seen a formula about a scoop field. Kevin you
> seem to have one, is it possible that I could see that formula?

I have posted it several times, i will do so again soon.  i can't seem to
locate it right now, but it's not hard to derivate

> Maybe we should find a nearby star in a nebula, that sure would increase the
> ISM-density. I'm not sure if there are any nearby nebulae. Does someone know
> more about that?

then how do we get from the nebula to the target system?

Kevin